Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Davenport to Half Moon Bay California

I've given you a few ideas for excursions in Florida. Now, I thought I'd hop to the other coast for weekend ideas in the San Francisco Bay Area. Today's trip: Driving US1 from Davenport to Half Moon Bay.

Let's base ourselves in Santa Cruz for today's trip. It is a town full of restaurants, has a boardwalk and a funky feel to it. Of course I have to let you know about a few of our bed and breakfast that would be perfect for this stay. If you would like be in the downtown area, check out Adobe on Green Street B&B. If you want more of a country setting, try Freedom Rose House Bed and Breakfast I'll leave you to explore Santa Cruz on your own and we will head out on a day trip.

Now that you are set, let's start out on our day trip. We will be going North on US 1 for about 9 miles until reaching Davenport. Davenport is a small beach town of about 200 and offers spectacular cliff views of the ocean. You can also hike down to the beach from the bluffs. I like stopping at the Davenport Road House and Cash Store to start the day with an outstanding breakfast. No matter what you order, get a cinnamon roll to share. After or before breakfast, browse the shop for locally made crafts. I also like walking over to the Lundberg Studios Contemporary Art Glass.

When you are ready to move on, I suggest making Ano Nuevo State Park your next destination. The main reason for this stop is to see the elephant seals that take up residence here. You can take a tour December through March. I've been there in the off season and have explored by myself. While there aren't as many seals in the off season, you will still see some. During breeding season, you must take a guided tour. Allow about and hour for this stop.

Next, I would make Pescadero your stopping place. This small town is fun to walk through and wonder in an out of local shops. If you are ready for a meal, I always enjoy Duarte's Tavern and Restaurant.

Our final stop for the day is Half Moon Bay and Moss Beach. The town of Half Moon Bay is fun to wonder through. It is lined with cafes and shops. You can also take a stroll or play along four miles of broad, sandy beaches. When dinner time rolls around, I would suggest The Moss Beach Distillery in Moss Beach, just a short drive norths from Half Moon Bay. 650.728.5595.
It is set along a bluff, has wonderful food, history, and a ghost.

That is it for today. Next up, a walking food tour of San Francisco.

No comments: